New Web-based OSM Interactive Map and other OpenStreetMap News
Skobbler's new web map is slick and has some new features:
- Auto-positioning via HTML5 browser positioning in Firefox and Chrome (if the user allows it)
- Internationalised style in Germany and the US (coming to many more countries)
- Drag & Drop Route calculation (just move the pins where routes should be calculated)
- Multi-line address search
- POI layers
It uses Leaflet and tiles to be speedy.
- via OpenGeoData (a commenter suggests that blog is not a good place for a skobbler ad, aka, the post announcing the new map)
Alex Barth, data lead at MapBox, offers a detailed post at the Foursquare blog about how all the check-ins from that service are driving OSM updates. Four months or so ago Foursquare swapped out Google Maps for OSM via MapBox for its web-based (not mobile) maps. For now, the anonomyzed check-in data is driving the work and suggestions are made via the Foursquare support pages. Clearly, MapBox and OSM I should think, hope to get the Foursquare community more active.