Congressman Introduces “Map It Once, Use it Many Times Act”
Congressman Doug Lamborn (CO-05) has introduced a bill that would streamline federal bureaucracy dealing with map making. H.R 4233, Map it Once, Use it Many Times Act, would reform, consolidate, and reorganize federal geospatial activities.
His H.R. 4233 would:
- consolidate responsibilities for leadership in a National Geospatial Technology Administration within the U.S. Geological Survey;
- merge duplicate federal geospatial programs into the new Administration;
- encourage the uses of commercial data and private sector service providers;
- establish a National Geospatial Policy Commission to provide a priority-setting mechanism that not only includes federal agencies, but Congress and non-federal stakeholders as well;
- provide for acquisition of professional geospatial services on the basis of quality , qualifications and experience of competing firms;
- establish an advocacy function for the dynamic U.S. private sector geospatial community;
- and coordinate the tens of millions of dollars the U.S.government spends each year on geospatial-related research and development along strategic goals that meet the needs of government and the private sector.
- press release via @mappsorg