Bentley Systems’ Mapping and Geospatial Product Enhancements
At Bentley Systems Year in Infrastructure Conference 2013, held this week in London UK, a number of new product enhancements were announced. Here is a summary of key features for two products, Bentley Map V8i and Bentley Descartes V8i:
Bentley Map V8i Enhancements
- Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 4) is scheduled for release by the end of 2013
- Users will be able to access Esri file-based geodatabases (with added support for point, linear, and polygon data types, including arcs)
The improvement of cartographic representation will include:
- multi-part linear symbology to better represent linear features with intersection management (i.e., intersection cleanup and priority display for crossing lines, for improved map finishing)
- support for bridge display, in which segments can be noted as bridges with configured width
- The provision of dynamic criteria for improved scale-dependent display means features can display differently depending on view scale. For example, zooming in may show a fire hydrant or water meter as a symbol while zooming out may show it only as a dot.
- Improved visualization capabilities
Oracle Spatial improvements
Improvements in texture support, better 3D queries, and composite primary keys will increase the ROI on Oracle Spatial data, saving users time and costs by not having to get new data or convert existing data. Specific enhancements include support of:
- Oracle Spatial textures
- Non-top view queries of 3D data
- Oracle 12c – (B-Spline curves and non-circular arcs)
- Composite (multiple columns) primary key
- Views as sub-features
- Improved API in Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 4) will enable subject-matter experts to customize Bentley Map so that users can make better decisions.
- Business properties will be maintained by a custom application. For example, up-to-date traffic counts could be provided on demand for a segment of roadway, thereby improving the quality of analysis.
- Symbology will be able to be directly driven by the application. For example, map display could depict real-time flow rates for a water network, consequently improving the understanding of the infrastructure data.
Bentley Descartes V8i (SELECTseries 5)
- New piping tools for point clouds that increase the software’s ability to extract features and create hybrid models in plant workflows by combining point clouds and geometry
- Clash detection tools (which will be included in the stand-alone Bentley Descartes version and available as an add-on for Bentley Descartes for MicroStation) that support point clouds natively
- Scalable terrain model analytics functionality (drape element tool, elevation contour export, and export to raster digital elevation model (DEM), that will enable Esri and MapInfo users, among others, to utilize the DEM) that will enable users to extract value from large terrain models.
Editor's Note: Bentley Systems provided support for travel expenses to the Year in Infrastructure event.