Student Internship with Azavea: Summer of Maps
Azavea invites student GIS analysts nationwide to submit an application to be considered for its third annual Summer of Maps, a program that offers $5,000 stipends to student GIS analysts to perform pro bono geospatial data analysis projects for non-profit organizations over a three-month period in the summer of 2014. Applications can be submitted until March 16, 11pm EDT. A note from me: Great company to work for/with!
Bagdes, The GeoTech Center and the GTCM
There's a nice round up from ATE of the thinking about badges for education including input from Vince DiNoato of the Geotech Center. He offers this nice list of best practices:
- Badges need to be based upon competencies that have been established and vetted by the industry, therefore the GTCM is a perfect tool to use as the foundation for the creation of these badges.
- There needs to be some form of assessment to prove that there is achievement and knowledge.
- There needs to be some way to record the badges earned and when they were earned.
- Badges should have expiration dates to encourage people to update their skills.
- Badges could be a component in an industrial certification that is based upon competencies, but should not be the sole determination of the certification.
Mapping Election Violence in South Africa
South Africa's Institute for Security Studies Crime and Justice Information and Analysis Hub launched a free public violence map viewer that allows Internet users to view and contribute information about public and potential election violence hot spots using interactive maps. Looks like CrowdMap to me.